Friday, October 1, 2010

Blitzen Trapper at West End Cultural Centre

I went to the Blitzen Trapper concert on Monday night.  Seems like a long time ago now....about six CreComm assignments have gone by since.   But it was a really amazing show.  It was the first time I have ever seen them live.  They had a great rapport with the audience, even taking requests, including one for a Townes Van Zandt song they weren't sure they remembered how to play. 

In addition to their generous attitude toward the fans, this folk rock band from Portand Oregon, really impressed me by reproducing some of the cool, original sounds they make in the studio, on the stage at the West End Cultural Centre.  I was expecting a pared down version of some of their hits, because I thought a lot of their sound might be achieved in the editing room.  But their on stage sound was even more diverse than their albums.  Two out of the three guitarists would intermittently stick their guitar pick in their mouth and  rattle off a sweet little diddy on the keyboad which was setup on a bench in front of them.  And they used lots of differnet kinds of percussion instruments, including bells and bead-filled fruit. The third guitarist also mixed it up with different instruments, even bringing out a melodica during one of the encore songs. 

By the way, that guy in the photo is not in Blitzen Trapper.  He is just this dude I met at Red River College today.  I just randomly asked him, "hey do you know where I could get a picture of a melodica for my blog?" And he said "Do I!" and he reached into his back pack pulled that baby out.  Nice guy.

But anyway, where was I?  Oh yeah, so Blittzen Trapper is a very talented group of artists, that put on a rockin' show. They are not afraid of trying new, interesting things.  The $20 I spent to enjoy their show at the WECC was well worth it. 

They also come across as a  group of genuinely nice guys that puts the audience first.  By playing requests, coming back out for two encores and complimenting our locally brewed beer, they worked some PR magic. 

Check out the video of their 2008 song 'Furr' below.  It's a cool collage style video and catchy little tune.  After a show like the one they put on the least I can do is try to convert a few more fans for them.

Enjoy,

Soupy out.

2 comments: