Friday, January 14, 2011

Culture Right Under My Nose

Cre8ery Gallery is right across the William Avenue from the Red River College's Princess Street Campus.  In fact I can see it right now as I sit in the computer lab writing this blog.  The brown brick building typical of Exchange district architecture used to be a factory and was converted into a gallery by the Cre8ery co-owners Jordan Miller and Shawn Berard in 2006/2007.  The art supplies store on the main floor faces the William street exit of the our lovely building.  Maybe you have noticed it.  Owner Shawn Berard says that a lot of the Graphic Design students take advantage of their 40% off nights on the first Friday of every month.  The gallery entrance is just around the corner on Adelaide. 

I visited the gallery as part of a Projector story I was doing on First Fridays in Winnipeg's Exchange.  (In case you did not know First Fridays are A free year-round once-a-month event in the Exchange District & its' borders when Artists & Galleries -along with cafés and small businesses- open their doors to the public every first friday of each month from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m ...and later.)  And the thing that stuck me about Cre8ery was how close it is to our campus and the fact that I had no idea it was there.   There are a lot of great little restaurants and shops and galleries in the Exchange, or so I hear, but they can be very hard to find if you don't know where to look. That is part of the charm of this little part of Winnipeg... I guess. 

I remember during my first week of CreComm walking around the Exchange telling myself that this is where I will be spending the next two years of my life.  And I was glad.  It is a great part of town.  The old buildings inspire creativity and romantic notions.  I imagined myself finding all the little 'hole in the wall' shops and restaurants.  Saw myself checking out underground bands and alternative art shows.  I would be immersed in the culture of the Exchange.

Five months later and I am no more immersed in the culture of the Exchange than I was in September.  Sadly when I do venture from the sanctity of this womb of recycled brick and steel that we call the Exchange District Campus I am either running to get to class, running to catch a bus or running to get a drink at the King's Head.  (And I went to the King's Head plenty before I went to school here so I can't even include that under the "broadening my horizons" category.) 

Don't let yourself get blinded to the beauty that surrounds us here in the Exchange.  Venture out of the building on lunch hour some times.  Find a new coffee shop or cafe that you have not tried yet.  And hey if you need some artistic inspiration I encourage you to check out Art-i-peg at Cre8ery.  It is literally less than a one minute walk from the William St. RRC doors.  There is some great Winnipeg inspired art being displayed there.  The last day is Wednesday the 18th.  Catch it before it is too late. 

It is truly scary how school work can envelope your existence.  I for one have had the CreComm blinders on for too long!  No more!  I will tear them off and see again for the first time.  I will soak in the uniqueness of these historical surroundings.  I will wrap myself in the banners of art and entertainment that decorate this district.  I will live, damn it!  I will live!

Soupy out

1 comment: